So, my 21 day social media fast lasted 8 days!
The thing is, when I wanted to quit I hung in there a little longer but the motivation to do so had changed. Instead of it being about putting the Lord first, it had become about proving I could do it.
Instead of making excuses let me tell you what I have learnt and gained from my "8 day social media fast":
- I have determined that I was spending WAY TOO much time on social media, more than I spend in the word and with the Lord
- Scrolling down my facebook feed was more by rote and because of boredom and FOMO (fear of missing out) than anything else
- I was starting to replace God's word with all the many little encouragements available on social media. That is not to say any one of them is wrong, only that my first source of inspiration should be the Lord and His word
- Some stuff on there (or some people) bring out the hurt in me (time to let them go)
- Facebook is a great tool, to be used by me to the glory of God and for encouraging of others
- I need to as a rule limit my time and interaction on social media and not let it grow out of hand.
Was my time of social media worth it?
Did I learn anything?
Did I achieve anything?
Did the Lord speak to me in all this?
The answer is YES!
I feel the Lord tell me that I need to find balance in all things. My initial motivation was to show the Lord that He is first in my life! I do not need to give up social media to do that. However, I do need to have self-control, balance and a mind on guard not to be tripped up by the evil one!
1 Peter 5 v 8: Be well balanced (temperate, sober of mind), be vigilant and cautious at all times; for that enemy of yours, the devil, roams around like a lion roaring [in fierce hunger], seeking someone to seize upon and devour.
I feel re-booted! Re-set! Ready! to practice balance and temperance in all things.