(13) You people who say, "Today or tomorrow we can going to a certain town and will stay there a year. We will do business there and make a profit."
(14) How do you know what will happen tomorrow? For your life is like the morning fog - its here a little while, then its gone.
(15) What you ought to say is, "If the Lord wants us to, we will live and do this or that."
(16) Otherwise you will be boasting about your own plans, and all such boasting is evil.
(17) Remember, it is sin to know what you ought to do and then not do it.
The thing that stands out for me is ONLY God knows our life and the length of it. And its arrogant to say "I'll do this" or "I'm doing that" because we're boasting in our own strength.
So instead I try to say, "If God wills, I'd like to do this or that." Why? Because faith in God indicates my dependence on Him!
|Are you plugged into God's word?|
The other thing that caught my attention is vs 17 is that it is a sin if we know what we should do, and then don't do it! That is a scary thought. How many times have I known what to do and not done it? This verse says its a sin.
Another section of James that needs to sink into the heart!
Linking with Jackie at Adventures in the Ordinary for: