1. Fear of the Lord, and
2. Fear of things, people, situations, etc.
1. Fear of the Lord is good. Its a healthy respect of God as creator and God of all
How do you show fear of the Lord?
- Deut 6 v 2(a): That you may fear the Lord your God, to keep all His statutes and His commandments...
- Ps 111 v 10: The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom; A good understanding have all those who do His commandments. His praise endures forever.
- Prov 3 v 7: Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and depart from evil.
2. Fear of Man is not good!
|Are you unable to move - because of fear?|
- Ps 27 v 1-2: The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is my strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
- Prov 29 v 25: Fear of man brings a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord shall be safe.
2 Tim 1 v 7: For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.
I'm sure you know I don't mean a healthy fear of, lets say, a lion or an alligator! But a fear that makes you feel trapped, unable to move forward. God also says in His word not to fear anything that man can do to you. Man can only take your life (terrible - I know) but in terms of eternity to die is to be with Christ (if you're born-again). He also says not to fear suffering - because in terms of eternity its a small thing (not easy to see when we're on earth).
My encouragement to you is to reject fear and replace fear with faith.
Fear knocked on the door of my heart and when I sent faith to answer the door, no one was there!