Prov 17 v 17: A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.
Prov 27 v 10(a): Do not forsake your own friend or your father's friend.
To help me think about friendship I tried to think about what I expect of my friends and what I like. Then take all that and ask myself what kind of friend am I?
- I like loyalty
- I like being able to pick up where we left off last time even if its months later
- I like when my friends accept that my husband comes first
- I like laughter
- I like deep conversations in an environment of trust and understanding
- I like been given space, time if necessary, and then not be 'guilted out' for it
- I like honesty - you can tell me if you have a problem with me
The ultimate friendship - Friendship with God
Ps 25 v 14: Friendship with the Lord is reserved for those who fear Him. With them He shares the secrets of His covenant.
Ex 33 v 11(a): So the Lord spoke to Moses face to face, as a man speaks to his friend.
Jms 2 v 23: And the scripture was fulfilled which says, "Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness." And he was called the friend of God.
Wouldn't a friendship with God be awesome? Imagine speaking with Him face to face as Moses did. They say Moses is the only man who has seen the face of God and lived.
What do these scriptures say about being a friend of God?
- Fear Him (Holy respect). I think as we seek wisdom in His word, He reveals His secrets to us. A sign of His friendship?
- Moses spoke with God face to face. What was special about him? Well, what comes to mind is his obedience. And Abraham? We all know he is recorded for his faith. And maybe we can add David here, for his humility, his great love of God, his desire to be right with God.
The bible also talks about another friendship - friendship with the world
Jms 4 v 4: Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself on enemy of God.
|God - or - the world?|
My encouragement to you, call a friend today. Encourage her. Know that God wants to be your friend and seek to be obedient, faithful and humble in seeking His friendship.